All students are expected to wear the school uniform and maintain the highest standards of appearance at all times.
We believe that the wearing of a school uniform is an important factor in establishing a pride in, and identity with the school, and at the same time minimises social divisions between students. All schools in South Ribble agree a common approach to their uniform policy - please see the document at the bottom of this page.
- Blazers should be worn at all times by all students. They may be removed in class at the discretion of the teacher. A jumper in place of a blazer should NOT be worn.
- Trainers must NOT be worn in school apart from in Physical Education lessons.
- Any request for permission to be excused wearing an item of uniform must be made in writing to the form tutor giving the reason and the period for which it is sought. The school has items of uniform which may be lent to a student without the correct attire, so that they can attend lessons as normal.
- Hair accessories should be of simple design. Extreme haircuts are not permitted. A #2 is the shortest hair permissible.
- Make-up is permitted as long as it is subtle - no heavy eye make-up/lipstick.
- For health and sefty reasons no jewellery should be worn in school other than a watch (Smart watches are not allowed). Earrings, nose. tongue, face, body studs/bars etc are strictly prohibited as are acrylic nails or similar items. tudents who arrive in school with such items will do their work in isolation. Students are not allowed nail polish and are asked to remove it. We always have a stock of polish remover in the pastoral offices. False eyelashes are not permitted due to health and safety
Students whose religious beliefs require legs to be covered can wear tailored trousers or may wear black salwar kameez.
Physical Education is a legal and important part of a student’s education and therefore it is essential for students to have their PE kit for every PE lesson, regardless of illness or injury.
There may be occasions where a student may not be able to participate fully due to illness/injury. However, in these circumstances the student can take on the role of coach, official or another role but they must wear their PE kit, which would prevent their school uniform from getting wet if the lesson is outside and raining.
The PE Department has, therefore, made it a policy that:
- PE kit must be taken to every PE lesson.
- If a student is unwell or has an injury, they must bring a letter from their parent/carer stating the reason and where applicable the length of time that the student be unable to participate fully. The student must attend PE with their PE kit.
- If students are injured to the point that they are unable to get changed a medical note is required
It is important that students are independent and responsible and part of that is provision of their own stationery and equipment. We can buy in bulk and we don't pay VAT so, while you can buy these items from elsewhere, we strongly suggest that you buy these from our uniform shop. The whole pack will cost £5.00. It will be essential for all students to have these items:
1 x Dry wipe pen
A plastic refillable water bottle
Apron for technology, science and art lessons
Hair bobbles - hair must be tied back for Technology, Science and PE lessons
Scissors, pencil sharpeners and compasses will be loaned to students and should not be brought into school.
Additionally, it is strongly suggested that each student has their own calculator. The preferred models are any "natural display" CASIO calculator - the standard entry level ones have a model number that starts either fx-83GT or fx-85GT as shown in the images below. These can be obtained from many sources including supermarkets and online.