6 January 2023
Thank you for the kind messages of support that I have received over the past few days following the announcement of my resignation. They have been much appreciated. As I have been saying to all the students, staff and families who have been talking to me, this is not about the school, our students, the staff or the community - it is the right time for me to accept that someone with a slightly different set of skills would be better placed to lead the school's continued improvement at this time. Anyway, I am still leading the school for the next term so there is plenty of normal school business to attend to!
It has been lovely to welcome everyone back after the Christmas and New Year break. in particular we have welcomed a small number of new members of staff - Mrs New who is teaching French and German, Mrs Brown who is our new Assistant Headteacher who has joined us from Ormskirk School, replacing Mrs Withers who retired last summer, and our new SENCO, Miss Evans, who has joined us from St Michael's in Chorley. We all wish them every success and offer them every support in establishing themselves at Walton-le-Dale.
- Buses: On the last day of term before Christmas our current transport providers, Moving People, gave us notice that they were unable to continue providing our school buses for reasons of financial viability. They will cease to provide our services at the end of March. We are re-tendering for a new provider and will update you once that process is completed, which will be just after half-term.
- Online Safety Newsletter - Please see link here for January's Online Safety Newsletter.
- Uniform: Notice from Mrs Wall (Deputy Headteacher). Following the recent holidays we have had number of students who have returned to school wearing incomplete uniform. We have seen an increase in the number of students who are wearing trainers to school. Our uniform clearly states: “Sensible black, plain shoes must be worn that are leather or leather looking. Shoes that are fabric, canvas or suede will not be permitted. Similarly, boots, training/sports shoes or sports brands will not be permitted. Shoes must be plain black with no logos, stripes (including black!) or additional colours present and the laces must be black. Shoes should have a back to them and heels should be low.” We have recently purchased a stock of black school shoes that students may borrow if there is an issue with their school shoes. Unfortunately a number of students who are also wearing false nails and piercings to school. “For health and safety reasons no jewellery should be worn in school other than a watch and single stud earrings. Nose, tongue, face, body studs/bars etc are strictly prohibited as are acrylic nails or similar items” Please can you ensure that your child removes all piercings and nails/polish as students who arrive in school with such items will do their work in isolation. Our uniform policy can be found here.
- Electronic devices: Notice from Mrs Wall (Deputy Headteacher) We are making a slight amendment to our policy regarding the use of electronic devices within school. Students are permitted to bring their mobile phone and ear buds to be used outside of the school buildings. If seen in the school building they will be confiscated and returned to the student at the end of the day. The student will also receive a lunch detention for the following day. Refusal to hand over devices may lead to a suspension from school.
Years, 7, 8 and 9
- Nasal Flu Vaccinations: Reminder that the vaccinations will take place on Tuesday 24th January. If you have not already completed the consent form, please see message sent out on Monday 12th December. The closing date for completing this is Tuesday 17th January.
- Progress Evening: This will be an in-person event and will take place on Wednesday, 18th January in D block from 4.30pm. Students will receive their mock examination grades at this event. We use an online system for booking appointments - teacher appointments must be booked via Schoolcloud; please see the link here for the letter and further information.
Have a good weekend.
Posted by James Harris
Category: WLD Updates