31 January 2021
WoW – overlap CPD Focus – Remote Learning
- Reminder: CPD – Teams support from DTU, LCH, MRI and JMJ during highlighted KWV sessions. Please call/contact them via Teams during this time will all things ICT related. Many thanks to them for their continued support (and video tutorials for students and staff).
- PTSA – Our PE trainee continues this week, Monday to Thursday. She has a full timetable of intervention, teaching, support and observations.
- Trainee/new staff induction CPD – PWA to confirm resources and time
- Expectations – Please continue to remember to refer to these with students. They and their parents/carers have all been informed.
- SIG – SLT Link meetings this week to discuss monitoring of quality of education and also feedback policies.
Feedback - Plan - Teach
Link to this term’s CPD focus – Delivering Effective Remote Learning
- Delivering effective remote learning
- Promoting wider reading within your subjects and reading for pleasure
In order to gain insight into a typical day for one of our students, a number of students were asked about their ‘diet’ in terms of online learning. This purely fact-finding mission involved asking several students from each year (covering a range of priority cohorts) to provide information as to how they access learning for each subject: live lesson, visual instruction (PPT, worksheets, etc) or video instruction (including recorded presentations, Oak National Academy, YouTube videos etc). The discussions were very positive and students seemed very confident about their learning experiences.
Overall, findings suggest a range of teaching approaches is being used to engage learners across all year groups. We all know that research shows that a mixed economy of synchronous and asynchronous methods are most effective but the following headline figures hopefully provide some food-for-thought:
69% of lessons each week are delivered in a ‘live’ format.
W Band: 79% of lessons are delivered ‘live’.
D Band: 58% of lessons are delivered ‘live’.
The majority of those lessons that are not delivered ‘live’, contain video materials so that students have access to multi-media resources.
Remote Learning Policy (to be updated to reflect recent changes – by the end of this week)
Teaching and Learning Policy (containing blended learning approach)
Many thanks to all those who are sharing Top Tips to enhance T&L through Teams. Remember that the Teams Top Tips Map is saved in our CPD Library here.
This website is useful for strategies to support students with SEND during this period of remote learning.
This a really useful resource with lots of great ideas.
Includes some useful tips for planning and delivering remote lessons but also for parents and students accessing work.
From LCH: ‘One thing I forgot to add in the video is where to find the excel spreadsheet after clicking export. If you go to the files tab on the left hand side of Teams under "calls" it's in there within the "downloads" section.’
Homework reports on ClassCharts
See this useful video tutorial. It is saved in our CPD Library, here.
Microsoft Educator Community
Newspaper Generator – SWO
I stumbled across this and wondered if it was any use to any depts. You type your own text in and can make it look like a real newspaper clipping.
Posted by Rachel Long
Category: Teaching and Learning Digests