1 June 2020
Plans for opening to more students: I am very aware that this an anxious and uncertain time for many families with the Director of Public Health currently advising against the opening of schools in Lancashire. As I said on Friday we are making plans to open safely to limited numbers of Year 10s from 15th June, as directed by the government, subject to Lancashire guidance. I am currently consulting with staff and aim to issue plans to all families of Year 10 at the end of this week. I will share the plans with all families, whatever the year group, so that everyone knows what is going on. The information that I send out will be sufficiently detailed so that students and families can clearly visualise what school will be like under these new conditions - I hope that this will help to reduce the understandable anxiety of students and their families.
Free school meals: Mrs Eckersley has asked me to inform those in receipt of free school meals that the vouchers have been issued for the next 4 weeks.
Space-related resources: The Department for Education has just released some space-related educational resources for home learning - worth a look - https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/space-related-educational-resources-for-home-schooling
Update from our librarian: Miss Knowles, our librarian, has asked me to share these resources with you....
- Competition to win books - annual prize draw please enter to win books for our lovely library!! https://www.nationalbooktokens.com/schools
- Design a book token - win book tokens https://www.nationalbooktokens.com/create-a-national-book-token-for-your-class
- Audio Books: You will find these on https://www.wizardingworld.com/
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone - Daniel Radcliffe reads chapter 1!
- Reading of House with Chicken Legs
- Audio of Skulduggery Pleasant
- R L Stevenson's Kidnapped
- Reminder LCC Digital Library - Some of these links you will need to join. https://www.lancashire.gov.uk/libraries-and-archives/libraries/digital-library/?page=4
- Free competition is designed to explain how creative ideas are protected by copyright and challenges children and families to hunt down the famous copyright symbol © at home.https://literacytrust.org.uk/competitions/copyright-hunt/
Thought for the Week: Our thought for the week is "Motivation" - you will find the resources here - https://www.waltonledale.lancs.sch.uk/curriculum/thought-for-the-week
Very best wishes
Posted by James Harris
Category: WLD Updates