We have been working hard to be clear about our curriculum over the last few months. This has given us the chance to reflect on the purpose of education and what makes education at WLD very special. As you have seen, we take our motto "Learning for Life" extremely seriously and that has led us to our ASPIRE statement of skills and the commitment that "We are aspirational for ourselves and for others....". This means that we are committed to a curriculum which allows our students choice through their education with us, and to open doors to new opportunities as they prepare to leave.
In order to achieve this every student at Walton-le-Dale High School will:
- Study a broad and balanced curriculum.
- Study a rigorous academic curriculum.
- Have the opportunity to explore topics related to their Personal, Social and Health Education.
- Receive Sex and Relationship education.
- Have the opportunity to develop a range of skills in all subjects.
- Have the opportunity for work experience.
- Have the opportunity to participate in physical recreational activities.
- Have the opportunity to participate in extra-curricular activities.
- Have the opportunity to participate in enrichment days.
- Have the opportunity to meet employers.
- Have the opportunity to visit colleges.
- Receive high quality careers advice.
- Have an individual mentor at KS4.
In practical terms this means that:
- We have high aspirations of our young people.
- We are constantly reviewing our curriculum and provision of extra-curricular activities to ensure inclusion for all students.
You can find detailed information about our curriculum on the website here and I would very much value your comments on what we consider to be a distinctive curriculum leading to a great education.
It is our first Enrichment Day of the year on Friday - please note that
- Years 7, 8, 10, 11 – in full school uniform;
- Year 9 in suitable clothing (no denim) for DoE activities
Thanks so much to all the staff and students who supported World Mental Health Day by wearing yellow (#HelloYellow - for Young Minds - supporting youth and children's mental health). Some of the photos are here! Our Career of the Week is "Naval Architect" and our weekly student bulletins are now on the website here... Period 6" - our revision/study sessions for Year 11 - continue this week. We break up for half-term at 3.05pm on Friday and return at normal time on Monday 28th October.
Have a great week!