Year 9 Options and Parents' Evening this week - a really important event in the life of our students. Choosing options is always an important stage in a young person's life in school - it is the first time that they have had any control over what they study. The government is keen that as many students as possible should study the English Baccalaureate (EBacc) range of subjects (English, Maths, Science, a language and History or Geography). We are also keen to encourage the technology subjects, the arts, sport and vocational provision so that our students leave Walton-le-Dale well-prepared for adult life and well-prepared to follow whatever path they wish into their future. So options choices are a matter for considerable discussion between young people, their families and ourselves. Specialist careers advice, such as that offered by Mrs Scargill here at WLD, and also conversations with colleges, training providers and employers are very important. Every student will need to work hard as all courses are challenging in their different ways - but in the end we all want every single one of our students to be successful!
Some regular updates:
- Enrichment Day 3 - this was an excellent day, despite the rain, with lots of visitors in school all contributing towards our students' broader education. You will find some pictures of the day here;
- Half-term break - school will be closed from Monday 18th to Friday 22nd February - we all return on Monday 25th Feb at the usual time.
- Shoes - Still a bit of an issue with shoes - we appreciate the occasional day or so while broken shoes get replaced, but black trainers are not school shoes. Please help us to avoid unnecessary arguments by ensuring that your son or daughter leaves for school with appropriate footwear. As always, the uniform is clearly stated on our website, together with images of appropriate school shoes.
Upcoming events - please keep an eye on the calendar:
- Year 9 Options Evening and Parents' Evening - this Wednesday 13th Feb - 4,30 to 7pm
- Year 8 Parents' Evening - Wednesday 27th Feb - 4.30 to 7pm - letters were sent out this week and are on the website here
Have a good week ...